Top 10 Brand Name Changes
Many companies decide to change their company name, products, logo or other branding items for a variety of strategic reasons. At times, the name change is a desperate attempt by a company to disassociate itself from a current or previous negative public image. It takes much more than a name change for a company to recover from a bad situation but they still try.
Other times, the new name could reflect the company’s updated mission or vision of the future. The change could even reflect a new focus or a different target market. A successful rebranding is more than just changing the name so a company will need to continue its efforts beyond the name change.
In the end, a brand name change provides a company with a business opportunity for a new marketing campaign. Here is our list of the top 10 best brand name changes that gave itself a better marketing opportunity.
10. Boston Chicken changed to Boston Market
9. United Telephone, Central Telephone and Carolina Telephone merged and changed to Sprint
8. Service Game Company changed to SEGA
7. Diet Deluxe changed to Healthy Choice
6. TMP Worldwide changed to Monster Worldwide
5. Quantum Computer Services changed to AOL
4. Jerry’s Guide to the World Wide Web changed to Yahoo
3. Brad’s Drink changed to Pepsi-Cola
2. BackRub changed to Google
1. Computing Tabulating Recording Corporation changed to IBM